To be added
To be added
Prior to the release of Tomb Raider movie, Alicia Vikander expressed interest in returning as Lara Croft for a second film, stating that "If there's an audience out there for it, then I would love to". Furthermore, in April 2019, Amy Jump was hired to write a script for a potential sequel, with Vikander attached. In September 2019, Ben Wheatley, Jump's husband, signed on to direct the sequel, with a planned March 19, 2021 release date with Warner Bros. Pictures dropping out of the project. That same month, it was confirmed that Wheatley's long-time cinematographer, Laurie Rose, will also work on the film. It was later announced that filming would start in early 2020 in England; later still, according to Geek Vibes Nation, principal photography was scheduled to start in April with filming taking place across a number of countries including England, South Africa, Finland and China. In order to deliver a more faithful adaptation of the games' story, the movie will allegedly be embracing more of the supernatural elements and tones that gamers have connected with; recently, however, production has now been delayed until 2021 with filming now taking place in England and South Africa due to the 2020 coronavirus pandemic. Additionally, it has been removed from the studio's release schedule.
In January 2021, Misha Green signed to replace Jump and Wheatley as writer and director. The film will be released theatrically in the U.S. via the studio's distribution and marketing joint venture United Artists Releasing, and internationally through Warner Bros. Pictures. On 15th of May 2021, Misha Green shared an image of finished first draft on twitter. The draft has a title Tomb Raider: Obsidian, but Misha Green said the title hasn't been approved yet. In May 2021 Amazon bought MGM for 8.45 billion dollars, and with it the rights to the Tomb Raider movie licences.
- Alicia Vikander reveals she "would love" to do a Tomb Raider sequel
- MGM & Warner Bros Starts Climb Toward ‘Tomb Raider 2,’ Amy Jump To Write Script
- Ben Wheatley Set To Direct Alicia Vikander In ‘Tomb Raider’ Sequel; MGM Sets Release Date
- ‘Free Fire/Overlord’ Cinematographer Laurie Rose Expected To Work On ‘Tomb Raider 2’
- Ben Wheatley’s ‘Tomb Raider 2’ Starring Alicia Vikander Returning To England To Shoot
- New Tomb Raider Sequel Details Revealed
- Tomb Raider Sequel Moves Production Date To Summer
- Aretha Franklin Biopic 'Respect' Pushed 7 Months, ‘Tomb Raider 2’ Now Unset
- MGM Sets ‘Lovecraft Country’s Misha Green To Write/Direct Next ‘Tomb Raider’ With Alicia Vikander Reprising As Lara Croft
- Amazon and MGM have signed an agreement for Amazon to acquire MGM