To be added.
To be added.
It was announced in January 2021 that an animated series was being produced, set in the Survivor Timeline, continuing the adventures of Lara Croft. In June, Powerhouse Animation was announced as the animation studio for the series. On May 28th, 2021, showrunner Tasha Huo announced on Twitter, that the writing of the series has ended. On August 23rd, 2021, Huo stated on The Act Two Podcast that the first season would be 8 episodes long, at 22-minutes each. On September 1st, 2021, Variety reported that the series was sold to Netflix with a two-season order, meaning that a second season was guaranteed, and likely produced at the same time as the first. On a later episode which released on September 27, Huo's co-host stated that the series would be available on Netflix in 2023.
On October 28th, 2021, along with the announcement that Jonah Maiava and Zip would be appearing in the anime series for the 25th Anniversary celebrations, Tasha Huo stated that the anime was part of the unification of the Survivor Timeline, Legend Timeline and Original Timeline, which Crystal Dynamics announced for the next steps of the franchise in early 2021. She also stated that the series would "explore Lara's life in ways we never get to in the games, but always wondered about."
On September 13, 2021, Deadline reported that Hayley Atwell had been cast as Lara Croft in the series Atwell stated on Instagram, "It has been a real pleasure recording this for Netflix and Legendary. Written and executive produced by the brilliant Tasha Huo." - indicating that she had already made some progress on the project.
On October 28th, 2021, it was revealed during the 25th Anniversary celebrations for Tomb Raider that Earl Baylon would be returning to voice Jonah Maiava, and that Allen Maldonado had been cast as Zip.
- Twitter user "Smash Lara - Tomb Raider News" tweeted on August 10, 2021 that they had seen casting information that suggested Zip would return in the anime as a reoccurring character. They also stated that the series would follow Lara Croft on a road trip, traveling the world and protecting people.
- What's On Netflix later corroborated the appearance of Zip on September 13, 2021.
- Allen Maldonado was announced in the role of Zip on October 28, 2021.
- This is the second animated series in franchise history. The first was Revisioned: Tomb Raider Animated Series.
- Powerhouse Animation also created CastleVania, another video-game adaptation, for Netflix.
- The series marks the first appearance of Hayley Atwell as Lara Croft. She succeeds Minnie Driver, who voiced Lara in the Revisioned animated series.
- When asked if she was involved with the project, Camilla Luddington responded with ambiguous emoji. However, she was seemingly replaced in the role of Lara by Hayley Atwell.
- Due to his appearance in this series, Earl Baylon is the first voice actor to appear as a supporting character in both mainline video game releases and extended media. Baylon plays Jonah Maiava in Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
- Shelley Blond gave her support to Atwell upon the announcement of her casting.
- Zip's return to the franchise in the anime marks the third time a character has appeared in every major timeline. He joins Lara Croft and Winston. If Shadow of the Tomb Raider's alternative ending is included, he is the fourth behind Natla.
- The most iconic heroine in video games is jumping to animation!
- Netflix is making a Tomb Raider anime article on Polygon
- CASTLEVANIA Spinoff, TOMB RAIDER & SKULL ISLAND Coming As Powerhouse Animation Studios Lands Deal With Netflix
- That’s a wrap on the writers room!
- Daily Life of a TV Staff Writer with Monty Bennett
- ‘Life Is Strange’ Series From Legendary TV, dj2 Entertainment, Enlists Shawn Mendes, Anonymous Content to Produce
- Hayley Atwell To Voice Lara Croft In Netflix’s ‘Tomb Raider’ Anime Series
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Animated Netflix Series: What We Know So Far