Tomb Raider (stylized as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider from 2001-2007) is a multimedia franchise which began with the video games, that follows the adventures and exploits of Lara Croft, a world-renowned archaeologist adventuress and the series' main protagonist.
The series began in 1996 with Tomb Raider. The game was a critical and commercial success, spawning numerous games (sequels and reboots), comic books, spin-offs, movie adaptations and Lara herself as a sponsor for many companies and products.
The series was noted for being a pioneer in gaming, for being one of the best examples of early 3D platforming.
- Main article: Lara Croft
The series' success has also been largely attributed to the title character. Lara Croft swiftly became an icon of not only gaming, but pop culture in general. Lara was praised for her take no prisoners' attitude, and even garnered status as a sex symbol. Lara was used in advertising of Lucozade, Seat cars, and even a line of chocolate bars.
Tomb Raider may also refer to:
- Tomb Raider (1996 Game) - The series' debut game.
- Tomb Raider (2013 Game) - Second reboot of Tomb Raider video games, released in 2013.
- Tomb Raider (2018 Movie) - Movie reboot released in 2018.
- Tomb Raider (Game Boy Color) - First Handheld Tomb Raider games.
- Tomb Raider (Top Cow Comics) - A comic series by Top Cow. Exist in their own Universe.
- Tomb Raider (Dark Horse Comics) - A comic series by Dark Horse, set in 2013 reboot timeline.
- Tomb Raider (Slots) - An online gambling game by Microgaming.