- For Lara Croft in other continuities, see Lara Croft disambiguation page
- "She was never one for diplomacy Lara. But she certainly knew how to paint the town Red."
- ―Charles Kane[src]
Lara Croft is an English archaeologist and Tomb Raider. After surviving a plane crash at the age of 21, Lara becomes bored with the stifling atmosphere of British aristocracy, Lara left her pampered life for a life of adventure and mystery, uncovering many powerful relics, and stopping several conspiracies that threatened the world.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Early Life
- 1.2 Ireland Adventure
- 1.3 Introduction to Archaeology
- 1.4 Resumed Studies
- 1.5 Plane Crash
- 1.6 Tomb Raiding
- 1.7 Vilcabamba and the Atlantean Scion
- 1.8 Dagger of Xian
- 1.9 Meteorite Discoveries
- 1.10 Tutankhamun's Tomb
- 1.11 Missing in Egypt, Presumed Dead
- 1.12 Return to the Living
- 1.13 Death of a Mentor
- 2 Overview
- 3 Novels
- 4 Continuity
- 5 Other facts
- 6 Discoveries
- 7 Real Life Appearances
- 8 Artifacts collected by Lara
- 9 Portrayal
- 10 Appearances
- 11 Quotes
- 12 Trivia
- 13 Gallery
- 14 External links
- 15 References
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early Life[edit | edit source]
Lara Amelia Croft was born on Valentine's Day in 1968 and raised at Croft Manor in a world of aristocracy. From age 3 to 11 she had private tutoring. From age 11 to 16 Lara attended the Wimbledon High School for Girls.
Ireland Adventure[edit | edit source]
In 1984, Lara went to stay with Winston and his wife in their small house in Connussie, off the coast of Ireland, for a while, while repairs were being carried out in Croft Manor. One evening she overheard a talk between Father Bram Patrick Dunstan and Winston, and being intrigued, followed the Father to his boat. Sneaking aboard she accompanied him undetected to the Black Isle, where strange things were happening and the demon Verdilet, who was imprisoned between running water, which he - being a demon - could not cross, was trying to escape.
Introduction to Archaeology[edit | edit source]
Later in 1984, after finishing High School, young Lara requested to accompany renowned archaeologist Werner Von Croy, whom she had previously met when he'd lectured at her school, on an expedition to Cambodia, to search for the Iris. Her parents agreed and it was her first of many expeditions around the globe.
The daughter of Lord Henshingly Croft, Lara was brought up in the secure world of aristocracy - wanting for nothing, she was surrounded by servants, social events, and high society.
Having attended Wimbledon High School for Girls from the age of 11 years, Lara's parents decided now that she was 16, she should broaden her education by studying for her A'levels at one of England's most prominent boarding schools. An adventurous soul, Lara found the idea of being sent away from home an exciting prospect. By chance one day Lara came across a copy of National Geographic on the hall table. The front cover featured a familiar name - Professor Werner Von Croy. A respected archaeologist, Von Croy had once lectured at Lara's school to pupils and parents alike. The experience had a profound effect on Lara, triggering a desire to travel to remote locations in search of adventure. In some ways Von Croy had become an inspirational figure for Lara.
As Lara read further, she learned that Von Croy was currently preparing for an archaeological tour across Asia, culminating in a potential new discovery to be made in Cambodia. Unable to contain herself, Lara burst into the room, thrust the article in front of her parents and without hesitation demanded she accompany Von Croy on his expedition. Lord Croft could hardly disagree that travel was an education in itself. As Lara argued the case further, he found himself walking over to the desk and penning a letter to Von Croy, introducing himself as an influential society figure and offering financial assistance in exchange for his daughter's place on the expedition.
Von Croy's reply assured Lord Croft that the territories were friendly and that he had ample experience to look after both his and Lara's well being. Lara's company as an assistant would be welcome, as was the offer of such a generous check. He remembered Lara from his lecture - her incessant yet insightful questions had made quite an impression upon him.
And so it was agreed by all that Lara would accompany Von Croy for the duration of the tour.
So Lara traveled with Werner to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Von Croy asked Lara for her assistance at several points, though Lara seemed to believe he was just giving her menial tasks to do. While doing one of these tasks, Lara found a backpack which she took from a dead explorer.
Von Croy challenged Lara to a race on the last leg of the trek through the temple they were exploring, where the winner would claim the Iris. Lara deciphered a tablet that stated that removing the Iris would be dangerous, though Von Croy disregarded the warning and insisted she help him open the dome which housed the Iris. Von Croy took the Iris, which caused the temple to begin to collapse. Von Croy was trapped, and Lara was forced to abandon him in order to escape.
Resumed Studies[edit | edit source]
After her expedition she resumed her studies, attending Gordonstoun Boarding School (age 16-18), in Scotland, where she discovered her love for climbing, water sports, horse back riding and archery. She then went to Swiss Finishing School, where she started doing extreme skiing (age 18-21).
Plane Crash[edit | edit source]
After attending Swiss Finishing School at the age of 21, Lara's marriage into wealth seemed assured, but on her way home from a skiing trip, her chartered plane had crashed deep in the heart of the Himalayas. The only survivor, Lara learned how to depend on her wits to stay alive in hostile conditions, conditions that were literally a world away from her sheltered upbringing. Two weeks later, when she walked into the village of Tokakeriby, her experience had had a profound effect on her. Unable to stand the claustrophobic, suffocating atmosphere of upper-class British society, she realized that she was only truly alive when she was traveling alone. Over the 8 following years she acquired an intimate knowledge of ancient civilizations across the globe. Her family disowned their prodigal daughter, and she turned to writing to fund her trips. Famed for discovering several ancient sites of profound archaeological interest she made a name for herself by publishing travel books and detailed journals of her exploits.
Tomb Raiding[edit | edit source]
From 1991 to 1996 Lara made many important archaeological and historical discoveries. Among others she found the Ark of the Covenant, which can be seen displayed in the hall of Croft Manor in 1996. She also had a run in with the creature known as Bigfoot before 1996.
Vilcabamba and the Atlantean Scion[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tomb Raider
In 1996 Lara discovered the lost City of Vilcabamba in the Andes mountain region in Peru, resulting in the find of one part of the Atlantean Scion. Looking for the two remaining parts Lara traveled to Greece, where she explored a giant ruined monastery called St. Francis' Folly and an amphitheater, as well as a Palace devoted to King Midas, before obtaining the second Scion part. Visiting Egypt and the Sphinx, Lara discovered the third and final part of the Scion. Following her adversary Jacqueline Natla, Lara finally managed to get to the lost continent Atlantis, whose secrets she would finally uncover.
She discovered that Natla was the one of three legendary rulers of Atlantis and had been imprisoned for her crimes against the kingdom. After being released she decided to succeed where she failed before and use the scion's power and the ancient pyramid to create new monstrous life forms. However Lara stopped her by destroying the scion and after a final battle, killed Natla and left the pyramid before it exploded.
Dagger of Xian[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tomb Raider II
In 1997 Lara travels to China in search of an artifact called the Dagger of Xian. During her search she will come across the sunken Maria Doria. From the wreck she claims the Seraph, an artifact with the power to unlock a door in a Tibetan monastery. Another artifact she discovers before finally finding the Dagger of Xian is the Talion.
She finally opens the door to Temple of Xian, but the place is booby trapped and by the time she gets through, Mafia Boss Marco Bartoli has already used it's power to become a huge Dragon.
Lara shoots the Dragon and as it lays stunned, she pulls the Dagger out of it's heart causing the Dragon to disintegrate to a skeleton. She then escapes before the temple explodes.
Meteorite Discoveries[edit | edit source]
While exploring the Indian temple which was the artifact's original location, she awakens statues of the great god Shiva whom she destroys before continuing on her way. She then finds Tony within the Caves of Kaliya where she kills him and obtains the artifact.
Lara then meets Dr. Mark Willard who tells her that the artifact she has obtained is one of four artifacts made from an ancient meteorite and requests for her to find the other three. Lara agrees.
She finally travels to London where crazed cosmetics company owner Sophia Leigh is using the Eye of Isis piece for her own sinister objectives. Lara eventually defeats Sophia and obtains the final piece.
With all four artifacts in her possession Lara goes to meet Dr. Willard in Antarctica to hand them to him.
There she discovers after seeing one of Willard's mutated employees that he plans to use all four pieces of the accursed meteorite to obtain great power in evolution.
Lara fails to stop him from forging the meteorite with the pieces and watches as he undergoes a mutant transformation into a large extra-terrestrial arachnid. She reclaims the artifacts, kills Dr. Willard and leaves Antarctica for good.
With Willard's wallet in hand, she learn of a fifth artifact, the Hand of Rathmore. She flies to Scotland, Loch Ness, to find it, but is too late, someone has already obtained it before her. She tracks the artifact to France, and encounters Sophia Leigh again, and procures the artifact for herself.
Tutankhamun's Tomb[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tomb Raider: The Times
Lara Croft had a meeting with Peter Stothard in The Times house. She was asked to investigate the new tunnels found near Tutankhamun's tomb. Lara consulted the previous findings of Howard Carter in The Times archives before her trip to Egypt. Lara explored the new tomb and found the Gold Mask.
Missing in Egypt, Presumed Dead[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Lara went on an expedition to Egypt and accidentally found the tomb of the ancient Egyptian god called Set, ruler of the underworld, that had been imprisoned for centuries. She goes over to the sarcophagus and retrieves an interesting artifact called the Amulet of Horus, not knowing that removing it could set that ancient evil god free.
Later Lara reads the inscription on the Amulet that warns that if it is removed, Set would be released to cause chaos in the world. She then finds out that she has her former mentor Werner Von Croy on her trail who is also interested in the Amulet.
Lara goes in search of her friend Jean-Yves and tells him her story, he explains that Lara has now released an ancient evil into the world and our heroine decides to set things right.
She opens another tomb with the Amulet, but Von Croy steals the artifact which seals her in. After facing many dangers, Lara arrives outside and sneaks aboard Von Croy's train that is going to the location of Alexandria.
In Alexandria she meets Jean-Yves again who explains that finding the ancient armor could prevent the evil from spreading. Lara sets off and when she returns, she finds Jean's study ransacked and a note left by Von Croy demanding the armor for her friend's life.
As they are driving with Jean as their hostage, the ancient evil of Set suddenly takes over Von Croy's body. Lara goes into the City of the Dead in Cairo and after dodging many traps finally finds where Jean is being held. Her friend warns her that Von Croy has now been possessed by Set and fears for her life. Lara assures him that everything will be alright.
Von Croy now under the influence of Set tries to bribe Lara and grant her ultimate power in return for the armor. However, Lara takes back the Amulet and locks Von Croy in the crypt along with four jackals.
She finally finds the Temple of Horus and in a large water based cave, she precedes to place the pieces of the armor on the statue with the Amulet in place. After she has finished, the light of Horus comes down onto the statue and Horus begins to awaken. However, Set's locusts destroy the statue and armor before the process is complete. Horus' light now enters Lara. Set now stands where Horus should be. Set gloats about ruling over the world once more and wants Lara to kneel before him before he extinguishes her worthless life.
Finding that she cannot kill him, Lara instead grabs the artifact and makes her way out of the cavern finally using the Amulet to seal Set in forever.
Lara returns to the opening of the tomb on shaky legs with great chunks of rubble falling around her. Von Croy suddenly appears and tries to save her, but Lara is unsure whether he is still possessed by Set and ends up hanging for her life on a ledge. Suddenly more chunks of rubble fall from the ceiling and Von Croy flees before he is buried.
He stares at the remains of the tomb and takes off his hat in a moment of silence sure that Lara is now dead. A giant statue of her with the inscription "Lara Croft, once and future adventurer. For her", is placed in England and a memorial service is held in her honour.
Return to the Living[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tomb Raider: Chronicles
After the events in Egypt, Von Croy along with a team of excavators dig up the ruins of the tomb to find answers of what happened to Lara.
Later one of Von Croy's men tells him that he has found something, he takes him to an area where they are digging and they find Lara's Backpack. Von Croy holds it in triumph and says that they have found her.
It is not mentioned whether they found Lara alive or dead, but in the next game "Angel of Darkness", Lara is very much alive, which concludes that she may have survived and returned to her original stately home in England.
Death of a Mentor[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
When asked to come to Paris by her former mentor Werner Von Croy Lara set out to find what he wanted, slightly resentful that Werner left her for dead back in Egypt. When speaking to Werner the two argued. During the argument Lara lost consciousness, only to awaken over Werner's dead body. Uncertain what happened Lara fled the scene to escape the police - who would immediately suspect her - to uncover the mystery behind the occurrence herself. This whole episode placed Lara in a new situation, one she has never been in before, being suspected of murder and being on the run, trying to clear her name at the same time.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Created by a team at Core Design that included Toby Gard, the heroine of the video game series has spawned seven incarnations of the game, where the heroine must defeat ancient deities, spirits, evil gangsters, and even dinosaurs. Since its debut in 1996, Tomb Raider games have been made for the PC, Mac, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Saturn, Dreamcast, N-Gage, Pocket PC, Game Boy Advance, and Game Boy Color. On April 11 2006, the seventh game in the series, Tomb Raider: Legend, was released for the PlayStation 2, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PC.
It is said the original name for Lara Croft was to be Laura Cruz. It was later changed to Lara Croft due to the fact that an American accent would change the pronunciation of "Laura" to "Lara", and that "Cruz" didn't sound British. Because the pronunciations are alike in an American accent, she is sometimes referred to as Laura.
She has also been portrayed by models for public appearances, most notably model/actress Rhona Mitra, glamor model Nell McAndrew (who was immediately axed from her stint as Lara in 1999 after posing nude in Playboy), and the top model Jill de Jong. Despite some initial reservations, on February 14, 2006, it was announced that a previously unknown 20-year-old sales assistant from London, Karima Adebibe, would star as the new Lara Croft model and would shortly begin a training program to play the role. Some feel she looks very close to the video game Lara Croft in publicity shots.
Some fans consider Croft's growing status as a sex symbol in the video game fandom through each progressive game sequel with increasingly gratuitous artwork and advertisements detrimental to the character, who gained more attention from her appearance than her tough-as-nails spirit and determination. In response to this, she has recently undergone a slight "redesign" for the sake of becoming more appealing to female gamers. Her chest size was reduced and her clothes were altered; some have still derided her form as being unrealistic (especially in regard to her BMI), although the constant and extreme level of physical activity Lara is depicted as partaking in, and the lack of a similar real-life individual of similar activity of such manner to utilize as reference, leaves the debate open. Nevertheless, Lara has a real athletic life so her BMI is normally impossible, because muscles are heavier than fat (so her weight should be around 154lb (70kg) rather than 110lb (50kg), if she has only muscles and not bones).
Novels[edit | edit source]
Three novels were written to bridge the gap between Last Revelation and Angel of Darkness.
The Amulet of Power - Trapped beneath the ruins of an Egyptian tomb, Lara faces certain death... until fate intervenes and sets her on the trail of an ancient talisman of power.
The Lost Cult - While on a mission for the CIA to recover stolen Iraqi artifacts, Lara Croft narrowly escapes death-only to be thrown into her next action-packed adventure.
The Man of Bronze - After completing a near-fatal mission in the mysterious cloud forests of Peru, Lara Croft flies to Warsaw to tackle her next assignment - and finds herself in the middle of an epic battle for the ultimate power.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
The Continuity of this version of Lara spans all Core Design, Tomb Raider Games, and three Novels.
Other facts[edit | edit source]
- Name: Lara Amelia Croft
- Title: Countess of Abbingdon
- Alias: Tomb Raider
- Date Of Birth: February 14, 1968
- Place Of Birth: Wimbledon, London
- Age: 35 as of TR: AOD
- Relations: Lord Henshingly Croft (father); Lady Croft (mother)
- Friends: Zip, Winston, Jean, Charles, Bram, Kurtis
- Nationality: English
- Spouse(s): None
- Children: None
- First Appearance: Tomb Raider (1996)
- Astrological Sign: Aquarius
- Current Residence: Croft Manor, Buckinghamshire
- Marital Status: Single (once engaged to the Earl of Farringdon)
- Blood Type: AB-
- Height: 5' 8" (1.73 m) or 5' 9" (1.75 m)
- Weight: 110 lbs (50 kg) or 132 lbs (59.9 kg)
- BMI: 17.0 (Underweight) (9 st 7 lb would be a healthier weight)
- Bust: 34D
- Waist: 24
- Hips: 35
- Hair Colour: Auburn-Brown
- Eye Colour: Brown (although in Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, her eyes appear to be dark red)
- Dress size: 8
- Shoe size: 7 (UK) / 9.5 (US) / 41 (EUR)
- Outfits: Usually Aqua Blue Tank Top and Brown Shorts, with Combat Boots. (See Lara's Outfits)
- Favourite food: Beans on Toast
- Distinguishing Features: Pony Tail (Typically braided), Sunglasses with flame red colored lenses, Backpack, has navel piercing (Seen in TR3)
- Weapons: Dual Pistols, Desert Eagle, Machine Pistols, Uzis, Shotgun, Spear Gun, Assault Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, Crossbow.
Discoveries[edit | edit source]
- Bestiary (1984), (CHR: "Labyrinth")
- Ark of the Covenant (1993), (before the events of Tomb Raider I)
- Bigfoot (1995), (before the events of Tomb Raider I)
- Philosopher's Stone (1995), (CHR: "The Colosseum")
- Atlantean Scion (1996), (TR1: "Tomb of Qualopec", "Tomb of Tihocan", "Sanctuary of the Scion")
- Dagger of Xian (1997), (TR2: "The Dragon's Lair")
- The Golden Mask of Tornarsuk (1997), (GM: "Furnace of the Gods")
- The Iris (1984, 1997), (TLR: "The Race for the Iris")(CHR: "The 13th Floor")
- The Meteorite Idols (Infada Stone, Element 115, Ora Dagger, Eye of Isis and Hand of Rathmore) (1998), (TR3: "Caves of Kaliya", "Area 51", "City", "Temple of Puna", "Meteorite Cavern")(LA: "Sleeping with the Fishes", "It's a Madhouse!", "Reunion")
- The Spear of Destiny (1998), (CHR: "Deepsea Dive")
- The Armour of Horus and Amulet of Horus (1999), (TLR: "The Tomb of Seth", "Pharos, Temple of Isis", "Temple of Poseidon", "Cleopatra's Palaces")
- The Obscura Paintings, Sanglyph and Periapt Shards (2003), (AOD: "Archaeological Dig", "The Hall of Seasons", "The Monstrum Crime Scene", "Maximum Containment Area", "The Vault of Trophies", "Eckhardt's Lab")
Real Life Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Diverse non-pc game advertisements, for instance SEAT, Lucozade (changed temporarily to Larazade), Visa, etc.
- In a music video of the German band Die Ärzte (#1 Hit Männer sind Schweine ("Men are Pigs")),
- On tour with the Irish band U2
Artifacts collected by Lara[edit | edit source]
- Atlantean Scion (TR1: "Tomb of Qualopec", "Tomb of Tihocan", "Sanctuary of the Scion")
- Dagger of Xian (TR2: "The Dragon's Lair")
- Mask of Tornarsuk (GM: "Kingdom")
- Meteorite Artefacts: Infada Stone, Eye of Isis, Element 115, Ora Dagger, Hand of Rathmore (TR3: "Caves of Kaliya", "Area 51", "City", "Temple of Puna", "Meteorite Cavern") (LA: "Sleeping with the Fishes", "It's a Madhouse!", "Reunion")
- Amulet of Horus and Armour of Horus (TLR: "The Tomb of Seth", "Pharos, Temple of Isis", "Temple of Poseidon", "Cleopatra's Palaces")
- Philosopher's Stone, Spear of Destiny, Bestiary, Iris (CHR: "The Colosseum", "Deepsea Dive", "Labyrinth", "The 13th Floor")
- Periapt Shards, Obscura Paintings, Sanglyph (AOD)
Portrayal[edit | edit source]
Voice actresses[edit | edit source]
Lara has been voiced by three actresses;
- In Tomb Raider, she was voiced by Shelley Blond.
- In Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider III, she was voiced by Judith Gibbins.
- Jonell Elliott voiced Lara in Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Tomb Raider: Chronicles and The Angel of Darkness.
Actors and models[edit | edit source]
A listing of actors/models who officially have been playing the role of Lara Croft for promotional Material
- Nathalie Cook 1996-1997 (the first model although unknown, before Tomb Raider became famous)
- Vanessa Demouy 1997
- Rhona Mitra 1997-1998
- Nell McAndrew 1998-1999
- Lara Weller 1999-2000
- Ellen Rocche - 2000 (Though widely unknown, Ellen dyed her hair and posed for two Lara Croft photo shoots)
- Lucy Clarkson 2000-2002
- Jill de Jong 2002-2004
- Sofía Vergara (Visa's Monster Chase commercial)
For more information on models, here's a link to for the Tomb Raider Models (Tomb Raider Models)
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Tomb Raider[edit | edit source]
- Lara's Home
- City of Vilcabamba
- Lost Valley
- Tomb of Qualopec
- St. Francis' Folly
- Palace Midas
- The Cistern
- Tomb of Tihocan
- City of Khamoon
- Obelisk of Khamoon
- Sanctuary of the Scion
- Natla's Mines
- The Great Pyramid
Unfinished Business[edit | edit source]
Tomb Raider II[edit | edit source]
- Lara's Home
- The Great Wall
- Bartoli's Hideout
- Opera House
- Offshore Rig
- Diving Area
- 40 Fathoms
- Wreck of the Maria Doria
- Living Quarters
- The Deck
- Tibetan Foothills
- Barkhang Monastery
- Catacombs of the Talion
- Ice Palace
- Temple of Xian
- Floating Islands
- The Dragon's Lair
- Home Sweet Home
Golden Mask[edit | edit source]
Tomb Raider III[edit | edit source]
- Lara's Home
- Temple Ruins
- The River Ganges
- Caves of Kaliya
- Nevada Desert
- High Security Compound
- Area 51
- Thames Wharf
- Lud's Gate
- Coastal Village
- Crash Site
- Madubu Gorge
- Temple of Puna
- RX-Tech Mines
- Lost City of Tinnos
- Meteorite Cavern
- All Hallows
Lost Artifact[edit | edit source]
The Last Revelation[edit | edit source]
- Angkor Wat
- The Race for the Iris
- The Tomb of Seth
- Burial Chambers
- Valley of the Kings
- Temple of Karnak
- The Great Hypostyle Hall
- Sacred Lake
- Tomb of Semerkhet
- Guardian of Semerkhet
- Desert Railroad
- Coastal Ruins
- Temple of Poseidon
- The Lost Library
- Hall of Demetrius
- Pharos, Temple of Isis
- Cleopatra's Palaces
- City of the Dead
- Chambers of Tulun
- Citadel Gate
- Street Bazaar
- Sphinx Complex
- Underneath the Sphinx
- Menkaure's Pyramid
- Inside Menkaure's Pyramid
- The Mastabas
- The Great Pyramid
- Khufu's Queen's Pyramids
- Inside the Great Pyramid
- Temple of Horus
Chronicles[edit | edit source]
- The Streets of Rome
- Trajan's Markets
- The Colosseum
- The Base
- The Submarine
- Deepsea Dive
- Sinking Submarine
- Gallows Tree
- Old Mill
- The 13th Floor
- Escape with the Iris
- Red Alert!
The Angel of Darkness[edit | edit source]
- Parisian Backstreets
- Derelict Apartment Block
- Industrial Rooftops
- Margot Carvier's Apartment
- Parisian Ghetto
- The Willowtree Herbalist
- St. Aicard's Church
- Rennes' Pawnshop
- Café Metro
- The Serpent Rouge
- St. Aicard's Graveyard
- Bouchard's Hideout
- Louvre Storm Drains
- Louvre Galleries
- Archaeological Dig
- Tomb of the Ancients
- The Hall of Seasons
- The Breath of Hades
- Neptune's Hall
- Sanctuary of the Flame
- Wrath of the Beast
- Galleries Under Siege
- Von Croy's Apartment
- The Monstrum Crime Scene
- The Strahov Fortress
- Bio-Research Facility
- Maximum Containment Area
- Aquatic Research Area
- The Vault of Trophies
- The Lost Domain
- Eckhardt's Lab
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Tomb Raider[edit | edit source]
- "It's hard to say exactly, but you seem to be doing fine."
- "I'm sorry, I only play for Sport."
- "Welcome to my home, I'll take you on a guided tour."
- "Use the D Pad to go into the Music Room."
- "Okay, let's do some tumbling, press the Jump button."
- "Now press it again and quickly press one of the directions and I'll jump that way."
- "Ah the main hall. Sorry about the crates, I'm having some things put into storage and the delivery people haven't been yet."
- "Run up to a crate and while still pressing forward, press Action and I'll vault up onto it."
- "This used to be the ballroom, but I've converted it into my own personal gym. What do think? Well let's do some exercises."
- "I don't actually run everywhere. When I want to be careful, I walk. Hold down the Walk Button and walk to the white line."
- "With the Walk Button down, I won't fall off even if you try to make me. Go on try it."
- "If you want to look around, press and hold the Look Button, then press in the direction, you want to look."
- "If a jump is too far for me, I can grab the ledge and save myself from a nasty fall. Walk to edge with the white line until I won't go any further, then press Jump immediately followed by Forward and while I'm in the air press and hold the Action button."
- "If I do a running jump, I can make jump like that no problem.
- "Walk to the edge with the white line until I stop, then left go of walk and tap Backwards to give me a run up. Press Forward and almost immediately press and hold the Jump button, I wont actually jump until the last minute."
- "Press Forward and I'll climb up."
- "Right this is a really big one, so do a running jump exactly as before except while I'm in the air, press and hold the action button to help me grab the ledge."
- "Try to vault up here, Press Forward and hold Action."
- "I can't climb up because the gap is too small, but press Right and I'll shimmy sideways until there is room, then press Forward."
- "Tap Backwards and I'll jump off backwards. Immediately press and hold the Action button and I'll grab the ledge on the way down. Then let go."
- "Let's go for a swim."
- "The Jump button and the Directions move me around underwater."
- (Gasps) Oh air, just use Forward and Left and Right to maneuver around on the surface. Press Jump to dive down for another swim about or go to the edge and press Action to climb out."
- "Right, now I'd better take off these wet clothes."
- "Well you have my total attention now. I'm not quite sure if I've got yours though. Hello?"
- "Of course."
- "Wait, we're talking about the artifact here?"
- "Hold on, I...I'm sorry. This piece you say, where's the rest?"
- "And where is that?"
- "So you think all this talking is just holding me up."
- "Thank you. I will."
- "Relocated now to St. Francis' Folly, new temptations torment me, rumored amongst......(fades into Priest talking)
- "Pierre, you litter bug."
- "Here lies Tihocan, one of the two just rulers of Atlantis. Who even after the curse of the continent had tried to keep rule here in these barren other lands. He died without child and his knowledge has no inheritage. Look over us kindly Tihocan."
- "If that is the phrase."
- "And you for a grand reopening I assume."
- "Kind of Evolution on steroids then?"
- "Or like this."
- "Not without the heart of the operation."
Tomb Raider II[edit | edit source]
- "Welcome Back. After that grueling business last year, I decided to build this Assault Course to hone my skills and learn some new ones."
- "No that's not right, you need to press Jump and Forward together to help me clear the gap. Run back to the start and try again."
- "For bigger gaps, I need to a running jump. Back to the Start."
- "To climb up, press Forward and then hold down the Action button."
- "To avoid falling off the ledges, you can use the Walk button. That way I'm more careful and won't fall over the edge."
- "To make that jump successfully, I need to walk back as far as possible from the edge, then take a running jump as before or you could walk to the edge, jump forward and press Action to make me grab the far edge."
- "Okay, that was quite a tough one. You need to make a running jump and then press Action for me grab the edge. To get the run up exactly right, walk to the edge then tap Backwards to jump back, if you run forwards from there and press Jump, I'll make it just right."
- "I can climb up this wall, just walk up to it and then hold down the Action Button. You can then use the direction buttons to climb up, down and side to side."
- "This set of obstacles is easiest to traverse by using my sideways jumps. Just press Left or Right at the same time as Jump. I can jump backwards too."
- "This is another climbing wall. You can tell by the footholds.
- "Oh Dear, back to the start if I want to beat my best time."
- "To swim underwater. Press the Jump button and the direction buttons to guide me."
- "On the surface, the direction buttons move me about and the Jump Button makes me dive underwater. At the edge of the pool, I can climb out by using the Action Button.
- "Great! But nowhere near my best time."
- "Gosh, that was my best time yet."
- "Almost, perhaps another try and I might beat it."
- "Congratulations you did it. But perhaps I could of been faster."
- "Hi there, let's see if I can beat my best time."
- "Feel free to explore the rest of the house and gardens."
- "Pardon me, if that was just your way of trying the doors for me."
- "Though not anymore, so after you."
- "I understand that someone is my favor, so indulge me about the Dagger. I'd be indebted with your life."
- "And which one is that?"
- "Perhaps not just yet then."
- "Aha! Gianni Bartoli. Via Caravelli, Venice."
- "But you are a monk."
- "That was gunfire. I think it was them who got taken away by it."
- "What are you doing here with Marco Bartolli?"
- "The true detox of evil."
- "Don't you think you've seen enough?"
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft[edit | edit source]
- "Welcome back to my humble abode. Feel free to take a look around."
- "If you want to look around, press and hold the Look button. Then press in the direction you want to look."
- "Let's go into the gym. Those of you who been here before will notice the new deco. What do you think? Well let's do some exercises, I think we should do them in order."
- "I don't actually run everywhere. When I want to be careful, I walk."
- "With the Walk Button down, I won't fall off even if you try to make me. Go on try it."
- "If a jump is too far for me, I can grab the ledge and save myself from a nasty fall. Walk to edge next to the white line until I won't go any further, then press Jump immediately followed by Forward and while I'm in the air press and hold the Action button."
- "Press Forward and I'll climb up."
- "If I do a running jump, I can make jump like that no problem. Walk to the edge with the white line until I stop, then left go of walk and tap Backwards to give me a run up. Press Forward and almost immediately press and hold the Jump button, I wont actually jump until the last minute."
- "Okay, this is a huge jump, so do a running jump exactly as before except while I'm in the air, press and hold the action button to help me grab the ledge."
- "Try to vault up here, Press Forward and hold Action."
- "I can't climb up because the gap is too small, but press Right and I'll shimmy sideways until there is room, then press Forward and I'll climb right up."
- "Well Done. This is a long drop and I don't want to hurt myself jumping off. I can let myself down carefully. Tap Backwards and I'll jump off backwards. Immediately press and hold the Action button and I'll grab the ledge on the way down. Then let go."
- "Next I'll show you my Crawl. First vault onto the block, now hold down the Crawl button, this will make me crouch down and keep holding it while using the directional buttons to move me through the gap. At the end turn around and drop me off the ledge. Make sure to keep the Action Button pressed or I'll fall. Now let go."
- "Press Forward and hold the Crawl button to make me squeeze into the gap."
- "To get to those really high places, sometimes I'll need to climb. Let's try that now. Walk up to the climbing frame and then press and hold the Action Button so I'll climb up onto it. While keeping this button pressed, push Forward on the directional buttons and I'll climb to the top."
- "Now looking up you'll see some Monkey Bars. These look like fun. Press the Jump Button, then immediately hold down the Action Button to make me jump and grab hold of the bars. Now use the directional buttons to maneuver across. Don't let go of the Action key 'cause as soon as you do I'll let go."
- "Right let's Sprint. Push Forward and hold down the Sprint button. When I reach the white line, push the Jump Button and I'll perform a diving roll."
- "Okay, fancy a swim."
- "The Jump Button and the Directions move me around underwater."
- (Gasps) Air, just use Forward, Left and Right to maneuver around on the surface. Press Jump to dive down for another swim or go to the edge and press Action to climb out."
- "Right, let's go and play outside."
- "Let's see how quickly the Assault Course can be completed. Are you ready?"
- "Hey, I like the look of this."
- "To jump on, walk up to the vehicle and press the Action button."
- "Let's go as fast as we can."
- "Now it's time for our third adventure."
- "Hello? Hello?"
- "I'm nothing that taxing, are you alright?"
- "If you'd all stop? Who are you talking about?"
- "Mmm Hmm, well I'm not quite sure where you're coming from. But I just want to know about the Infada artifact in the temple up there."
- "It's not Voodoo. Look is there anyone else here with you?"
- "Randy and Rory, where? What are you all doing here?"
- "What! Shoot the breeze with some of your other boys. No Thanks."
- The Infada tribe only had one artifact of this type, it's unique. Anyway what would your interest in it be?"
- "So how did it end up here?"
- "August 14th 1834, this...."(Fades into Stephen talking)
- "Sounds good to me."
- "Not interrupting am I?"
- "No and No."
- "Right, I understand, what happened?"
- "The Tribesman, it isn't usual for them to eat right off the bone like that."
- " Maybe you'll be the desert. White flesh can be a bit of a delicacy around here."
- "Listen, we'd better get you out of here, do you know how the tribe cross the swamp down there, which stones they tread on?"
- "Of Course."
- "You forget I could be quite hungry myself. Famished actually."
- "Why did your ancestors flee from Antarctica so soon?"
- "But you still worship it?"
- "One of Darwin's sailors, oh poor fellow."
- "Where's the stone now?"
- "I'll be sure to point that out to him."
- "Who are you working for?"
- "You heard me."
- "I said who employs you?"
- "Who's she? What does she do?
- "A commendable work ethic I guess."
- "Well how old is this Miss Leigh?"
- "I'm flattered."
- "Then you might like to mind...the bell."
- "Happy Retirement."
- "Business, not pleasure."
- "And you have?"
- "Some kind of failed experiment then?"
- "You mean Sophia's testing some immortality power along with her own brand of face lift?"
- "Very generous of you, what do you want?"
- "Embalming fluid?"
- "So why don't you go yourself?"
- "To What?"
- "No, but I'll probably have an unsightly face judging by your past experiments."
- "Oh yes, they're all still alive, very much so in fact. All I want is the artifact."
- "We'll see."
- "At home! I've just met a man who may as well have been brundlefly."
- "He was your own employee!"
- "But you've no control over this."
- "Not everyone here wants to guinea pigs. Multiappendaged or not."
- "Yes, but you bumped into me in India and sent me to find them for you, bringing me here listening to this gibberish. Your perception of good timing is bad."
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation[edit | edit source]
- "This place gives me the creeps. After you."
- "You're a regular superhero Werner."
- "Your average priceless seaweed."
- "Such concern, I didn't know you cared."
- "You old romantic you!"
- "I presume by we, you refer to me."
- "How convenient."
- "I'm up for a little heresy."
- "Watch your back old man. I warn you, I'll pull no punches."
- "In the time it took you to find your way here, I've examined the inscriptions. It warns of vengeance on those who remove it."
- "I don't count poison darts and triggered entombment your average child's tea party. I feel we should lend this some respect."
- "What was that you said? Disrespect is the route to carelessness?"
- "On your head be it, Von Croy."
- "You were saying?"
- "Hold on, I'm coming back to get you."
- "I Semerket, high priest of Horus forewarns that he who removes..."(Fades to Semerket's voice)
- (Fades back to Lara's voice)"...Harvests fail under the broken skies."
- "My trusty companion returns."
- "Once called forth should the heavens split asunder and the light of the sun god Horus banish the lord of darkness Set."
- "I wouldn't advise it."
- "Jean Yves, my faithful friend."
- "Only if you want Von Croy gatecrashing the party."
- "I think he was looking for this."
- "Time to put things right and remove a thorn in my side in the process."
- "Von Croy!"
- "Nothing I shan't be retrieving at a later date, Liebhar."
- "Always griping Werner. If it's the leg causing all this resentment, I seem to remember that being down to your definitive with pulling hazardous levers."
- "For I have served the god of light Horus at the time of plagues. To read this inscription means that the ruler of..."(Fades to Semerket's voice)
- "Hands on your head, take me to Von Croy."
- "Where's he headed?"
- This attitude problem. You people need to learn some manners. Tell me now or you've just run out of time."
- "Your workforce is about to be delayed."
- "Von croy has the amulet."
- "Jean, I'm tired, give a girl a break!"
- "Take me there."
- "Von Croy!"
- "Time to introduce myself to Werner's loyal workforce."
- "Over my dead body!"
- "I make my own luck."
- "The tablet was returned to the sands that had spoiled..."(Fades to Sermerket's voice)
- "Only interesting if you know what it refers to."
- "There is more at stake here than the sum of the pieces Von Croy. Ever heard of Armageddon? Unpleasant even by your standards."
- "I banged into a couple of them, they seem to of sealed off all the exits."
- "I'm just here for directions, I need a route for the Citadel."
- "Beast or no beast Sarge, I've got to get into that building."
- "And if I find them?"
- "Put your gun away, Azeza sent me."
- "I've come for the mind frequency. I need to get back to Azeza through this rabbit warren with both legs intact."
- "Where are the rest of you? I need the explosive codes."
- "The codes?"
- "I need those codes."
- "Lara and you handle yourself pretty well Sergeant, you got the codes, what now?"
- "Against what?"
- "Get out of here Jean. I have a feeling things may turn nasty."
- "I'm not a man Jean and I'm always very, very careful."
- "And in return?"
- "Got my fair share of that already and besides, give a jackal your hand and he'll bite off the whole arm."
- "Barking mad."
- "The inscription reads one night in dreaming, came to me, the spirit of the Sphinx. In his passing, he spoke to me words of great wisdom. Tut Moses, here is your true destiny. This land of Egypt is forever yours to rule. In return, protect me always from the sands of time. As you are, I must be free from head to toe so that we may both see the divine beauty of creation."
- "You back Werner? No more Set?"
- "Good to see you again Werner."
Tomb Raider: Chronicles[edit | edit source]
- "Ah, the charming Mr. Larson. Has Pierre let you off the leash? Talking of which, where is our learned friend?"
- "I've got the cash, but I don't deal with the monkey."
- "Lucky I'm in a generous mood."
- "Ah, crawled out from under your rock I see."
- "Easy come, easy go."
- "To climb onto this crate, stand next to the crate, push Forward and then Action."
- "To leap this short distance, move to the edge then press Forward and Jump together."
- "Now let's try a longer leap. Walk to the edge then tap back once, now press Forward and Jump together."
- "And now for the big jump. Walk to the edge, then tap back once, now press Forward and Jump together. When in midair, press Action to climb onto the ledge."
- "To perform a sideways somersault, press Left and Jump."
- "To Monkey Swing, jump straight up at the bars and press and hold Action, then push Forward."
- "For me to climb this wall, stand next to it and press Forward and Action together. Keep hold of Action and push Up to climb the wall."
- "To climb around corners, just keep pushing in the desired direction."
- "For me to crawl, hold down Crouch and now push Forward."
- "To use the lever switch, stand next to the switch and press Action."
- "To swim, jump into the water. Use Action to swim forward and the Directions to steer."
- "To walk the tightrope, walk up to the rope and press Action. Push Forward. If you unbalance, push in the opposite direction to correct."
- "Rodents, I wouldn't wonder. Big Rodents!"
- "Come get it."
- "You want to try the back pockets?"
- "If you put this into that gate Pierre, you going to get a lot more than you bargained for. Trust me"
- "That would be one of the stupidest moves you've made and that's saying something I'll think you'll appreciate"
- "Wait for it."
- "Don't say I didn't warn you."
- "In your usual flamboyant style, you have set in motion the next gateways."
- "If my memory serves me, the gateway has realigned itself and if it doesn't retrieve the two remaining stones in the next few moments (Imitates explosion). If I was you, I'd grab, your cro-magnum cowboy over there and run as fast as your little legs can carry you. Au Revoir Mon Cherie."
- "Come out, come out wherever you are."
- "Not when you're involved no."
- "Whatever. We seem to be missing someone."
- "And you thought you might just help yourself to his share of what's behind that gate. Unless of course, this is just a social visit."
- Larson, behind you."
- "No really, behind you."
- "I've had worse."
- "I can't tempt you to jump down and look?"
- "Wondered when you'd get to that. Pull me up and the stone's yours."
- "You have my word."
- "Pierre, you know nothing would please me more, but we have an agreement."
- "Not to lay a finger on you remember silly! Anyway, busy girl got to go."
- "Don't let me hold you up."
- "Dealt with Mafioso before. Unpleasant memories, prefer to avoid them whenever possible.
- "Hardly a major search party is it? There's something you're not telling me."
- "I'm a big girl now. Hit me with the bad news."
- "Well done. Nuclear Submarine, sounds nice. Perfect Holiday."
- "What's this? You're not worried about me?"
- "Touching, but don't wait up."
- (Laughs) "Economy Class."
- "Your little assignment? You have no idea what your Mafia finance is. Do you Admiral?2
- "You're making a grave mistake, you know that"
- "Ah, who could believe it!"
- "Puncture, time to leave."
- "To be continually used in your quest for world peace, I presume."
- "This artifact contains untold power. Power that the likes of you will never harness. If you wish it, you may have it, but you will regret it."
- "Sergei, listen to me. You don't know what you're dealing with."
- "We have a chance. The escape pod, come on, I can help you."
- "Yarofen, I can help you, but you must help me. The ship is about to impact into the ocean bed and then our time is up, we must hurry!"
- "Not without you."
- "No deal!"
- "And my gift to you?"
- "You have my word."
- "Goodbye Admiral."
- "I'll stay where I am."
- "And why on Earth should I trust you?"
- "What was in the hole?"
- "Nothing with Demons, right?"
- "Father, I've found a book in the Labyrinth."
- "It has protective symbols, maybe you could use them."
- "Stay put, right."
- "Asceroth, Eckwhell, Marrangkuma, Lylemookal, Goliath. Help Me!"
- "Kemals, Mastafan, Verdeland."
- "But how?"
- "Be quiet!"
- "Back to where you belong."
- "Switch roofs? Easy to say from the ground floor, wouldn't you agree?"
- "Never mind Yankee, I'm going in."
- "I'm in."
- "Unlucky for them. Any welcome party?"
- "I've noticed the last bit."
- "Thanks, but that thought had crossed my mind."
- "Enough talk, contact me if you see anything."
- "You getting this?"
- "You want to tell me what it's doing here?"
- "Can't argue with that and the guns?"
- "I get the picture."
- "Find me some way to turn it off."
- "What I have to work with!"
- "More of those and less of the lips would be preferable."
- "Do you have any suggestions? Anything to distract him?"
- "Indespensible information as always."
- "What exactly am I hiring you for?"
- "You're right, I wont mention it."
- "Meaning what exactly?"
- "Sweet Dreams."
- "So you're asking me to disarm myself in a building crawling with armed guards?"
- "I'm doing it but if you mess this up!"
- "Do I have a choice?"
- "What about the lifts?"
- (Groans) "Gonna be sore in the morning."
- (Groans and coughs) "Never felt better."
- "Zip, they're coming through the door with wielding torches."
- "You don't say!"
- "You're full of something."
- "Sounds preferable."
- "Got a feeling this is not quite what it seems."
- "You get used to it. Where's the exit?"
- "Bony Ass! I doubt it, but I'll be in touch."
- "Clear the area Yank, I'm coming."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Contrary to popular belief. Lara's parents are alive within this timeline.
- Lara is assumed to be baptized Catholic, given her affiliation with Father Bram.
- Lara's middle name is Amelia, which would become the given name of her mother in Crystal Dynamics' subsequent timelines.
- This is the only version of Lara to have her middle name revealed.
- According to her passport in the first game, Lara's blood type is AB-.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Tomb Raider Android port
- Lara Croft: Style Guide
- Tomb Raider: Chronicles
- Tomb Raider IV The Last Revelation booklet, pages 6 & 7
- Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
- Lara Croft: The Art of Virtual Seduction page 82
- Tomb Raider manual
- Tomb Raider
- Tomb Raider III: The Lost Artefact
- Tomb Raider III - Character Memory Card
- The Making of: Sofia Vergara featured in Visa's "Monster Chase"